Published on February 5th, 2013 | by George Conte0
Benefits of aerobic exercise
Aerobic exercise (cardio) is a great way to build a strong heart, a healthy and beautiful body and improve your psychology. Some of the best ways to do cardio are by walking, running, swimming, bicycling etc. Also some of the best cardio can be done by taking part in various sports like basketball, football, volleyball, tennis etc.
Benefits for our body
- Cardio is perfect for weight loss because you can burn more calories while at the same time you don’t need to eat less food. Aerobic exercise could be the best way to burn extra calories (so burn extra fat) without having to do any changes to your nutritional plan and feel hungry. That means you can eat your favorite food and still lose weight! Check here for more details.
- The most important muscle in our body is our heart. Cardio is the best way to build a strong heart and avoid any cardiovascular problems in the future.
- It can help build and sustain muscle mass, depending on the intensity of the exercise.
- Cardio can help with high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. It can decrease the chance of a stroke happening, some types of cancer and osteoporosis.
- Some of the previous benefits are based at the fact that aerobic exercise makes a direct impact in our health by increasing High-density lipoproteins (good cholesterol) and at the same time decreasing Low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol).
Benefits for our psychology
- Cardio is one of the factors that help release the neurotransmitter dopamine in our brain that has various psychological benefits. It can improve our emotional state, decreasing the possibility of depression.
- Also it can decrease the feeling of stress and anxiety that add up by everyday’s problems.
- Another interesting fact is that it can help with addictions. Addictive personalities seek the release of “dopamine” by using drugs. Aerobic exercise can do the same thing but in healthy way resulting less need for dangerous substances for having the same result. This is the same reason why there are people that love exercising so much, they practically get addicted to it. It’s a “healthy addiction” based on dopamine release much like the release done by synthetic addictive substances.
- Exercise can help us feel more self-confident. That is a direct result of being healthy, beautiful and energetic.
- Most of the psychological benefits discussed here are based on reduction of negative stress hormones, like cortisol and adrenaline. At the same time with the production of endorphins (along with dopamine), our natural painkillers and mood elevators.
- Taking part in team sports can help us meet new people and make friends that share our common interests.
- This is very important for kids at an early age since they are just starting to socialize. Exercise is perfect for children in order to develop friendships, social competence, earn experience in challenging social situations and how to interact with adults.
As you can see aerobic exercise has many benefits for your physical, psychological and social health. My opinion is that you should just pick your favorite sport and just go out and do it. After a while you will be addicted to it and wonder why you didn’t start earlier!